March 2017 meeting of the HomeBrewers Of Western Loudoun (HOWL) was called to order by President Chris B at Kettles and Grain Home-brew Supply Shop with 19 members in attendance (same number as February with a few new members). Announcements were as follows:
- National Home-brew conference sign-up is opening AHA con is in Minneapolis for 2017. Check out the website for all the information needed; https://www.homebrewersassociation.org
- Brewers Ball to benefit for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation held on 3/4/17, some members attending and a few extra tickets available.
- Yeaster Project is on schedule, bottling started, see Facebook postings by Jennie on yeast selection and any other logistics. Club shall analyze the results at the April meeting.
- Month of May competition on the Brew Calendar was introduced. Executive officers had a teleconference with 50 West representative Joe D on planning ideas for 2017 event. Think about your entries.
- Club is thinking of a brew trip. Watch the Facebook page for suggestions between RVA, Nelson County, etc. Dates and time forthcoming.
Around the room introductions of new members with an ice-breaker discussion on the lessons learned from last meeting. Good discussion on yeast oxygenation, starters, etc.
Brew friendly competition for SMaSH beers and beyond was presented by VP Brian H as follows:
Calendar Brew – SMaSH competition
Brian Y – Vienna style lager; Liberty, Munich W3470 yeast 5% abv, 26 IBU and a winner
Rob P – Blonde Ale; Hallertau, 2 row, WLP 060, with a sugar story to achieve some Belgian esters, an attempt with stevia, mmm maybe there is no sugar substitute
Doug Y – Maris Otter and Jarrylo; small batch 3.5 lb grain, 1 oz hop with S04, new hop which has become famous for the NE IPA rage, pretty good
Jmark – Pale Malt and “unknown hops”, hold your horses, is this a SMaSH, well still counts as a true experiment with 4 batches for a taste-off among friends Citra/mandarina bavaria/Huell melon/unknown, WLP 051
And the winner is Vienna Style Lager SMaSH, see certificate presentation photo
The rest of the Beers (non SMaSH additions)
Tom P – Pale Ale; 5 hops, Amaryillo, Cascade, Centennial, Simco, and Citra, 2 row, Maris Otter and Cyrstal for a 6.1 abv, and 52 IBU
Paul J – Belgian Tripel; 8.9 % Goldings and Saaz hops with WLP 500 Monastery yeast, an addition of Jaggery sugarand pink peppercorns. I missed the grain bill due to the distraction from the bottle label, yes, a story of something like ‘Charlie and the Stripper’… great tripel and label
Ruben – Stout; 7lb of 2 row, 1 raw barley, crystal and Munich, midnight wheat, and flaked barley, touch of Vanilla and Coconut, lactose, coming in at 5.5%
Jukka – Black IPA; Ace of Spade Northern Brewer kit with 12 lbs of 2 row, 1 Cara-Munich, Black Wheat, and a healthy hop addition 4.5 oz, Magnum, Chinook, Centennial, and a dry hop of Centennial and Citra
Another successful meeting, see you at the Yeaster tasting in April. Feel free to respond with any corrections or additions.
tom p, secretary