The May meeting had some minor competition with a private party at Kettles and Grain in Leesburg, VA. However, was soon called to order by the Vice President Brian H with announcements, a continued ‘off flavor’ sensory experience, and the Brewers Choice tasting.
- Annual Competition this coming Saturday at K & G, 5/6. Entries in the Brew Brawl app, see the FB page for instruction.
- National Home Brew Day also at K & G with multiple brewers outside, discount on ingredients.
Lactic Acid (sour, sour milk) mostly non-volatile odorless except high concentrations. It is clean, crisp, tart, sometimes reminiscent of yogurt.
Indole (farm barnyard) Has been known to elicit floral jasmine-like aroma for some others smells like fecal matter.
Eugenol (Spicy, cloves, all spice) Phenolic compounds produced by brewers yeast. Oxidation might also produce phenolic bitterness.
- Mark C; Belgian Golden Strong, DIPA, Coffee Porter, multiple beers stumped the note taker
- Seven K; IPA, sorta of a Raging Bitch clone with Warrior, Amarillo, Columbus, Cascade
- Brian H; American Strong Ale, 2 yr aged on a lost recipe
- George P; IPA, hop hash, Columbus, Citra, Mosaic, 1056 yeast, nice
- Ruben; Kettle Sour, 9 oz of hops, wow, non-sour fans gave a nod of approval, very good
- Charlie; Nut Brown Ale, experimentation continues with improvement, a suggestion of longer fermentation, keep it up getting good
Please excuse some of the attention to detail on this meeting due to the disruption of the venue. However, June meeting shall feature Belgian Beer friendly competition and the Annual Competition results from May. See you there.
tom p, secretary